Devin loves startups! He established his own first startup while earning his Law & MBA degrees. Since then, he has set up several more startups and enjoyed every minute of it. He has a real passion for a new business model–the prospect of a business startup always makes his heart race!
He’s an entrepreneur who is also a patent and trademark attorney. Devin has obtained several degrees including a Law degree (JD) and a Masters in Business Administration. He even has degrees in Electrical Engineering and Mandarin Chinese.
While working for a large law firm helping Fortune 100 clients like Amazon.com, Intel, Redhat, and Ford with their intellectual property, he quickly realized that there weren’t many good intellectual property legal resources out there for start-ups and small businesses. As an entrepreneur himself, he wanted to help other small business owners learn about patents, trademarks, and copyrights so they can build value into their businesses and protect their assets.
In addition to founding and running his own patent and trademark law firm, Miller IP Law, he is the co-founder of several startups including a multi-million dollar startup for wearable glucose monitoring. He also runs a product development company that helps startups and small businesses with developing their ideas and products.
SOME USEFUL LINKS:
13 QUESTIONS THAT DEVIN CAN BE ASKED
1. How does a business protect an invention and/or brand?
2. Why are patents important to protect an invention?
3. How does a small business compete with big business?
4. With limited budgets, how do startups decide whether to invest in a patent or trademark?
5. What are some of the biggest mistakes businesses make with patents or trademarks?
6. How do select a good patent or trademark attorney?
7. How long does it take to get a patent or trademark?
8. How do you juggle the work-life balance of being a dad, running a law firm, and running several small businesses?
9. How did you found your first startup that turned into a multi-million dollar business?
10. Can I do a patent or trademark myself?
11. What are the essential things a startup should focus on?
12. At what point should I engage an attorney for a patent or trademark?
13. What are the odds of getting a patent or trademark?
6 TOPICS THAT DEVIN CAN DISCUSS
1. Protection of intellectual property through patents and trademarks
2. How to protect an invention and all the time/effort/money it takes to develop it
3. How to protect a business’s brand
4. What a new business needs to know to get started on the right foot legally
5. Common mistakes made by startups and new business owners
6. Other general strategies to protect and grow a small business or startup